About the event
Twenty years on from the establishment of the Scottish Parliament, our annual Politics Explained 2019 event will ask one key question - what is next for Scotland?
Never has the political landscape moved so quickly or events been so hard to predict, amid large constitutional questions over Brexit, a future independence referendum and growing distrust in political parties, this event will equip your organisation with the tools to tackle the political landscape head-on. If your organisation requires collective knowledge of how government works, what politicians do, how civil servants operate, how the legislative programme is formed, and how you might extend influence in that process, then this event is unmissable.
Our speakers are drawn from across politics, media, academia, private and third sectors, and some will be known to you through their high profile public positions. They are all participating because they recognise the value of speaking directly to professional audiences and offering insights which will assist you, your business, and the wider community. This event will provide you with the opportunity to get your organisation's voice heard by both Scottish Parliament and Government.
Join us as we discuss the future of Scottish politics with our expert speakers and give you the floor to share your thoughts, questions and challenges.
Previous year's speakers have included:
- Mark Brough, Head of Legislation & Delegated Powers Team, Scottish Parliament
- Dougie Wands, Acting Lobbying Registrar, Scottish Parliament
- Robert McGeachy and Mark Ballard, Joint Authors, The Public Affairs Guide to Scotland
- Angela Haggerty, Editor, Common Space and Sunday Herald Columnist
- Gina Davidson, Communications Director, Scottish Labour
- Margaret Smith, Director, Caledonia Public Affairs
- Linda Fabiani MSP, SNP, Deputy Presiding Officer and former Minister for Europe, External Affairs and Culture
- Jackie Ballie MSP, Scottish Labour, former Minister for Social Justice in Labour/Liberal Democrat Scottish Executive
- Liam McArthur MSP, Liberal Democrat, former Special Advisor to the former Deputy First Minister, Jim Wallace in the Labour/Liberal Democrat Scottish Executive
- John Edward, Director, Scottish Council of Independent Schools (SCIS)
More information, including the agendas and this year's speaker line-up please visit the event homepage.
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 3 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.